Skip to main content

LEARNING HOW TO LEAVE THE BURDEN OF GUILT BEHIND BY JOYCE MEYER.

I used to have a massive problem with guilt. I remember how I suffered with it. It was horrible! I would get up in the morning and wish it was time to go to bed because it was always there…lurking…condemning me with thoughts like this: “You didn’t… You should have… You shouldn’t have… You should know better. You did it again. What do you think you’re doing preaching to other people?”



Like I said, it was horrible. But I can honestly say that today, I am completely free from guilt and the condemnation it brings!
Now, I’m not saying I don’t do wrong things sometimes. But I have learned the truth about what Jesus did for me, which gives me forgiveness of my sin and keeps me from carrying around the terrible burden of guilt, letting it steal my life day after day.
I’ve also learned that it’s good to have a healthy grief about my mistakes but instead of just feeling bad about it, I come to God, admit what I did that was wrong, receive His forgiveness and then move on. The truth is, we don’t have to live with the burden of guilt!

The Price Was Paid

Guilt is mainly caused by the way we think about God’s expectations of us, our sin (mistakes), and the remedy for our sin. Guilt enters as a thought, which creates a feeling, and then we live by that feeling. But here’s some more good news: We don’t have to live by our feelings or make decisions based on our feelings.
If we’re smart, we won’t believe our feelings when we know they don’t line up with what God tells us in His Word, and God’s Word tells us that Jesus has paid the price for the forgiveness of our sins and removed our guilt.
Second Corinthians 5:17 says, “Therefore, if any person is [ingrafted] in Christ (the Messiah) he is a new creation (a new creature altogether); the old [previous moral and spiritual condition] has passed away. Behold, the fresh and new has come!” We see in this scripture that being a new creation, or born again, means we are in Christ—we have personal, intimate relationship with Him.
And because of that relationship, we have whatever Jesus has and the Holy Spirit lives in our spirit. So His righteousness is now our righteousness and we can have His grace and strength to do what’s right.

Your True Identity

We need to see ourselves in Christ and identify with Him as our substitute, who paid the price for the cleansing and forgiveness of our sin. Our identity is no longer “sinner” but “new creation in Christ,” and there’s a difference between our “who” and what we do. I like to look at it this way: My children don’t always do things that I like or agree with, but they are always my children. It’s the same way with us and God.
What keeps us from knowing who we are in Christ is thinking more about what we’ve done wrong than what Jesus has done for us. We have to stop thinking about what we’re not and start thinking about the progress we’re making in our relationship with Him.

Journey to Freedom

“The closer you get to God, the more you'll know what's right and wrong.”
The closer you get to God, the more you’ll know what’s right and wrong. And the closer you get to God, the more strength you’ll have to do what’s right.
Please don’t be discouraged if you don’t feel like you’re getting this all at once. It took time for me to really get that Jesus paid the price for the cleansing and forgiving my sin and then receiving His forgiveness. That’s why guilt tormented me as long as it did. If you will keep seeking God, study the Word, and fellowship with God, you will get completely free from guilt and condemnation.
You may be thinking, “But Joyce, I still make mistakes.” Yes, we do. And God knows that. He understands our nature and knows we have a lot to learn. He knew what He was getting when He called us into relationship with Him. But He is so merciful!
He loves us and He wants us to be free to come to Him when we do something wrong, admit it to Him with a sincere heart, receive His forgiveness and press on as you leave guilt and condemnation behind.

This article is taken from Joyce's four-CD series The Fearsome Four.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT DOES SACRIFICE MEAN IN A RELATIONSHIP?

Every relationship requires some sacrifices. Even, a garden full of flowers requires sacrifice to tend it. It takes sacrifice for a farmer to reap good harvest. What does it mean to be sacrificial? Being sacrificial is being selfless and loving, all out for someone and even inconveniencing yourself. So, in your relationship, you say am not the "this type of person, I am not the that type of yen yen" and you know it can make that relationship blossom, why not make sacrifices and do it. it is called sacrificial love Maybe the sacrifice you have to make is understanding and patience, taking in the other person's mental health into consideration. Nobody was born a type of person.  School, parents, environment, experiences, church, etc ; shaped us into being some type of person. But, self centeredness and selfishness hinders us from making sacrifices. Even our Lord Jesus that died and resurrected was not the "dying type of person" to die for us, but He made that sacr

THE BEFORE

Anxiety isn't good when you are trying to conceive; first hand experience. And my anxiety wasn't just from me being disturbed about conceiving but from other factors too. Example: questions being asked, flippant comments and direct confrontations, unsolicited advice. You might say, only two years and you were worrying yourself to death. Ha! It's was like twenty two years to me. In the span of two years,a lot happened ...it was well. I was completely worked up. Those that know me in person can testify that I was a slim person but became extremely slim. I became a shadow of myself. I was eating but was not healthy. I was seriously anxious and worried. So much was said to me. Pastor Victor and his wife, Pastor Mary,  Aunty Nseabasi Etim , My mum and lots of others were a great source of strength; God bless them for me. I was doing alot of things like taking of Communion daily, anointing my stomach daily and reading the word concerning the situation. One thing was

HOW TO KEEP DESTROYING YOURSELF WITH WORRY AND ALSO OVERCOME.

  📍We all worry way too much about so many things.  We worry about what everyone else thinks. ▪Are they going to judge me for writing? ▪Are they going to think I am weird for doing this? ▪Is this picture worth sharing? ▪Is my dress beautiful?  ▪Do I look fine?  We just worry.  But when you think about it.  Does it matter what everyone thinks? You can only look at their opinions and suggestions, pick what you want, and leave the rest. •What does your God think about you?  He has beautiful thoughts for us. •What do you think about yourself?  Your friends and family all love you (some do) and the people who get your message will appreciate you.  Stop overthinking and worrying about everything. 🔹I used to be this way (working on this). Until I began to make conscious efforts to stop worrying about everything.  •It is exhausting  •It takes a toll on your health.  •Worry causes high blood pressure. •Worrying can make you tired •Worrying can kill you. •Worrying can cause ulcers. •Negative t